Friday, July 27, 2007

"Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes"-- "Changes", David Bowie

So one of the coolest things about Phnom Penh is how in the past few months its been going through rapid changes... Its been growing, developing, booming at a pace I've never seen before. First there's little things, like before I left there were supposedly only 2 ATMs in Phnom Penh... now there is one in almost every store. There are buildings and things up now, that weren't there when I got here in may. Heck, since I've been in my apartment, the skyline view has changed... everything is under construction, except the roads, which are the one thing that need it. Huge buildings go up in about 2 weeks... if we had these builders in va beach, we'd of finished "down town" about 5 years ago. While this is all very exciting... its also very distressing when you get around using land marks...
On a similar note... and actually what prompted this e-mail would be the changes to wat langka... as i said before its right across the street from where I work... And its really pretty so i look at it a lot... then yesterday there were these flags outside of it... looked like maybe different provinces. Now today they've run different colored flags up some poles... so I wanna know... what on earth is going on? Oh, and there was a flip flop on top of the gate... which I can't figure at all, b/c there really isn't a way to climb up there... and the only reason I saw it, was b/c i was looking down from my building.
Oh and they've also started finishing construction on what I believe are monk quarters... nothing is wierder than looking over at a 3 story building that wasn't there the day before.

2 comments:

squealdx said...

Robin looks like you're doin great!

for a lawyer and all.....

it's like i'm really there you know in the hot steamy ass 3rd world!

sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is really weird. I mean, things build up at home and when I go to visit, I'm surprised, but overnight. Wow...