Thursday, August 9, 2007

"They call him Flipper, Flipper, Flipper..."

Welcome to Kratie (pronounced Krachae), one of the number one places on my things to do while in Cambodia. I had one goal and one goal only.... see the Irawaddy dolphins, and not even my translator could stop me. Of course i also did some work... interviews and what not. then the first time we tried to go we had all three of us (see first pic below) on a moto for about 45 minutes-hour... it rained... actually poored... and then we got there, and they were like, its too late... and the other two didn't know it involved getting on a boat... all completely rediculous ness so we were there for a couple of minutes... then left, and then i made them go back the next morning... well not really made them, i told them i would go on my own, but they wouldn't let me... In fact spock couldn't handle the idea of me doing things on my own... you can only imagine how this made me feel.




Here we have spock and the Kratie CDP lawyer... sheltered from the rain.


Here's a great view from our shelter...


Next day was dolphin time:





The dolphins... these are irawaddy dolphins... the only freshwater dolphins in the world. And there are only about 14 of them left. Now these bad boys are pretty ugly... no nose. And the spit... In otherwords... awesome. The videos aren't too bad... but are pretty good if you pay attention... Just remember i was out there for a couple hours... and went for like 20 minutes at a time without seeing a thing. So just imagine how many videos i deleted.



From there we stopped off at a womans temple. Sad to say women can never become monks. But when the are old they come here to retire... shave their heads, dress in white... no physical beauty allowed. And they help out the monks by cooking and things.


After seeing the dolphins, I wandered around the town hoping to see another red sunset and grab pictures of it... unfortunately, no such luck... but I got other great pictures as a storm was rolling in...





No comments: