Sunday, August 5, 2007

"You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather." -- "Miss Jackson", Outkast



So... the entire time i've been in cambodia its rained every day... for about 10 minutes in the late afternoon or at night... except on saterdays... which it rains all morning... its been hot and sunny, and uncharacteristcly dry for the rainy season. until this week... until I work up the nerve to venture the 4 hours down to the beach in Sihanokville. And now i'm here, and its done nothing but pore for 2 days. Yesterday, i was fiercly determined to go down to the beach, which i did, and got soaked by rain.

Now I had a back up plan if it rained... i would go shopping.

This seems like a great idea... everyone says not to go to Sihanokville b/c its touristy and things, and I figured... well that will give me things to do... right? No, wrong... This place is empty... nothing... over crowded by locals... no shoping no clubs, nothing within walking distance except the beach. I'm sure when it isn't dark grey and miserable out its probably beautiful... but when its like it is... it becomes dirty and unpleasant... Locals are dirty... there's a lot of trash... they just kinda throw it where ever... which is a tad bit frustrating... and sad...

In some ways the beach reminded me of the main strip of virginia beach... at least as far as the over crowding of people and the houses that are built up around it.

Sigh... oh well...

The weather has also thwarted my plans to go up and see preah vihear next weekend... turns out, during the rainy season the only way to get to the top of the mountain is to be an expert dirtbiker... which I am not. I have grabbed a couple of pictures here and there... Theres a good possibility that nothing else will be uploaded till i get home and get a hold of some high speed internet, as I will be out in the provinces for the next week and half... probably w/out internet.
On the upside however... here come the pictures... yeah!
And last but not least... check out this internet shack...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went to Redondo Beach yesterday and it was hazy and chilly and there was green algae all over the water... I guess it's not even close to the same, but I was trying to share in your frustration with some of my own. I hope your last leg brings you better experiences than this beach trip.

Anonymous said...

are you saying the beach here is over crowded with small houses and I shouldn't move there. Because I'm taking that last comment seriouly. like ther almost fighting words. I feel the beach no matter how dirty or cluttered is still the beach. Must love beaches.
mother

squealdx said...

where ya at yo?!
squeal