Thursday, May 10, 2007

"Me love you long time..."

So today, I woke up at 5am... 6pm may 9th east coast time.... this 11 hour difference is kinda screwy w/ sleep. Anywho... I had a bus to catch at 7:20... and on the way were billionis of monks, in their little orange robes... which is pretty fricken awesome. But wait... I should rewind a bit.
Yesterday got much better post puking. I rode on the back of my first moto... b/c thats just how you get around... and I went out for my first indian dinner, which was surprisingly good.... and i've finally tried tiger beer, which is a nice lager.
Today, I took a 7 hour bus ride to Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Viet Nam... Holy wow is there a huge difference between Cambodia andViet Nam...first off Cambodia is rediculously poor and dirty... but w/ some incredible architecture, and temples... The cattle all have their ribs showing, and the roads are unpaved.... and the driveing was the scariest i've ever seen in my entire life. Whats really bad was how thankful i was to get to vietnam where there are medians, meeaning that our bus couldn't drive head on into oncomming traffic to pass a slow car anymore. THere are also stoplights and the cows are prettty fat. For being communist... Vietnam is incredibly captialistice.... very well built.... but at the same time you can see thateres upperclass and lower class.... and no middle... Saigon is friggin huge.... suburban sprawl all the way to the border... which is like 2 or 3 hours from the city. The bus is interesting b/c it has no quams w/ picking up natves and taking them to random places they need to go. Lunch was interesting as there were an abundance of fliesl everywhere... lucky for me the two biggest food products are pringles and oreos... the only two things not exposed to buggies... also coke... Unfortunately when I got here, it was kinda late, so most things are clothesed... but you'd never know that from the amount of people on the street. Shops are open however... I went to the main market which is remarkabley like the Grand Bazarr in Turkey... didn't buy anything today... but will probably invest in a nice set of chopsticks tommorrow.
Oh... and nothing on earth is scarier than trying to cross the street... I've considered renting a moto just to get a few blocks b/c doing it on foot is trecherous... you just have to walk out at keep a steady pace, and try to keep an eye on traffic... I've been doing this by following close behind groups of natives... so far no major incidents... but its still the first day.
I'm the only one here from my tourgroup so far, so I'm more or less doing a lot on my own right now... but i'll probably just stay in the hotel for dinner, b/c its getting dark, and well.. it kinda sucks to eat dinner alone.
And on that note.... food...

And now... Some pictures:
On the road to Saigon... It rained a whole lot.
A cow in the rain on the road to Saigon.
One of the first things that struck me when we got over the border was how every single house had a TV antenna.
My first view of a pagoda... little did I know this would not be the only one I would see...

This here is a one of my first views of Saigon... and a good representation of what the whole city is like.
And here is a picture of the market... and the street one must cross to get there... I'm standing in a roundabout at this point... you can see the crosswalk to the right... notice that there are no stop lights near the cross walk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oops, I sent you an email instead of a post, so I'll post to make your life easier. Your trip sounds crazy already! I'm excited to be able to get these updates about it.

Oh, and I have an interview in California on Sunday!