Saturday, May 26, 2007

"This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the globe and searches for something we haven't tried before...


...So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite and never outstay the welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what? It's probably worth it." --The Beach

Hmm… trying to figure out how exactly to do this post is difficult… b/c I don’t have any pictures… at least not right now. The two days spent in Vang Vieng were some of the most fun that I’ve had the whole trip. However, I did not take my digital camera tubing w/me for obvious reasons… we were tubing. I did, however, bring a water proof camera… so when I get those pics developed, I’ll stick them on a disk and post them.

Vang Vieng is a little hole in the wall type of town. Its purpose is to cater to travelers… not tourists… the people who are looking for a little bit of adventure and freedom. I wouldn’t say that its lawless… but there really isn’t any enforcement.

Now I’ve been tubing before, in the states… so when our guide told us there would be tubing, you can only imagine my excitement… which I then passed on to the others… who had never been tubing before. Also due to the past experience, it promoted me and Leela picking up a box of wine for the ride. But this tubing was a little bit different… it wasn’t just floating down the river… as I briefly mentioned in an earlier post.


Basically there were a lot of bars and things that you hold onto and plummet into the water from. This was a ton of fun…


The first stop was a zip line which I did a couple of times. (the first pic is me, the second is my ever so graceful landing and the third is a Leela) The guys there were giving us shots of Lao Lao wiskey… this stuff is wicked strong… *oh yeah… I was sick as a dog at this point… major food poisoning right before we left so I had been chowing down on pepto and things… so I wasn’t all that keen on drinking anything… luckily by the time we got to the rafting spot, I was feeling much better* I stayed away from the lao lao for most of the rest of the trip.


The next stop off was a good place to sit and have a drink… We were just going to chill here just a bit longer, but then they played the cure boys don’t cry, and we decided to stay until the song was over… this then turned out to be the whole album…it also had more of swing like jump…. As in your holding on w/ your hands above your head swinging back and forth… As we all know, I have real issues w/ the whole downward motion concept… so really jumping off of anything is the scariest thing ever for me… but after a while I got worn down and decided to give it a go… zip lines are fairly easy b/c its not a free fall… swinging ropes… a little harder… but sucked it up, did it, and actually did much better than I thought I would… just swinging back and forth, and back and forth… debating if you should let go at the highest point or lowest… I’m pretty sure I took the lowest… but on a sad note I lost my dollar store sunglasses… completely forgot to take them off, and they went flying through the air never to be seen again. The next stop off was the major place with a full restaurant and volleyball courts… and a wicked huge jump. After the awesome experience on the first jump… this didn’t seem that bad… but as your freefalling from a tree, and the angle of the jump is more of a straight drop than a swing, the rope suddenly snaps and… well… there’s a belly flop. I didn’t do anymore jumps after that one… but it was worth it.


As we continued down river it started to thunder and lightning… from the banks above use we could hear the welcomed call of “tuk-tuk?” so half of us took off, while the other half kept on down the river.

Still a little churny in the stomach I didn’t do much drinking that night, but rather just hung around with everyone else. This little town shuts down early for being such a hot spot for travelers… I ended up ducking out early… being too sober and ill to be amused by everything going on.

I have no pictures from the next day… but it was an excellent day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.